Last Updated: August 12, 2019
This Privacy Notice (the “Notice”) describes how Priori Legal, Inc. (“Priori”, “we”, “our” or “us”) handles personal information in connection with the operation of the Priori legal talent platform available at https://app.priorilegal.com/ and related services (collectively, the “Platform”).
This Notice applies to services available to attorneys, lawyers, paralegals and other legal professionals (collectively “Legal Professional Network”), who may register on the Platform by filling out an application. In addition, prospective businesses, firms or counsel (collectively “Clients”) may use the Platform to submit RFP’s to find, interview and hire potentials from the Legal Professional Network for their legal needs. We describe in this Notice how we use personal information we obtain in connection with the operation of the Platform, with whom we may share it and how we protect it.
Personal Information We Obtain
We obtain different categories of personal information from site visitors, Clients and the legal professionals in the Legal Professional Network who use the Platform, as described below. Certain features may not be available if you do not provide the requested information.
1. Personal Information We Obtain Directly from Clients
When a Client uses the Platform and completes a form (e.g., RFP, “Get Started” form), we ask for certain personal information and other input, including:
- Contact information (i.e., name, phone number, email, job title); and
- Project details (e.g., project name, description and type, time commitment, required experience and budget).
2. Personal Information We Obtain About Legal Professionals in the Legal Professional Network
When a legal professional uses the Platform to join the Legal Professional Network, we ask for certain personal information and other input, including:
- Contact information (i.e., name, phone number, email, LinkedIn profile URL);
- Account information, such as account password;
- Professional information (e.g., practice area, experience, bar license, resume);
- Education information (e.g., degree, school(s) enrolled);
- Personal information submitted in the Platform profile;
- Location information; and
- Information legal professionals give us about others, including name and contact information of references. Do not give us information about others unless you are authorized or have their consent to do so. We will use their information for the purposes described in this Notice.
3. Information Automatically Collected About Your Visit
How We Use The Personal Information We Obtain
1. Personal Information About Clients and Legal Professionals in the Legal Professional Network
We use the personal information we obtain in connection with the operation of the Platform for several purposes, including:
- Providing you with the Platform and the services you request from us, such as connecting legal professionals in the Lawyer Network with relevant Clients;
- Identifying and authenticating user accounts;
- For our own marketing and advertising purposes, including interest-based advertising;
- Communicating with Clients, legal professionals in the Legal Professional Network, and others about the Platform, Priori’s offerings and to respond to inquiries or requests;
- Generating and analyzing statistics about your use of the Platform and offerings (e.g., time spent on the Platform, user activities, etc.) and improving user experience with the Platform; and
- Detecting, preventing and responding to fraud or abuse of the Platform.
We also may aggregate the personal information we obtain through the Platform (the “Aggregated Data”) and use it for analytics, benchmarking, developing insights and other business purposes.
2. Interest-Based Advertising
With Whom We May Share Your Personal Information
We may share the personal information we obtain in connection with the operation of the Platform for the following purposes:
- With service providers who work on our behalf, business partners and other third-party partners that provide features or functionalities we integrate into our Platform, such as email communication providers;
- If a Client engages with or retains a legal professional in the Legal Professional Network, Priori shares the relevant legal professional’s information with the Client;
- As necessary or appropriate, with our attorneys, accountants, auditors, investors or other advisors;
- To the extent reasonably necessary to proceed with the negotiation or completion of a merger, acquisition or sale of all or a portion of our assets (including in the event of a reorganization, dissolution or liquidation).
In addition, we may share Aggregated Data with third parties for any purpose.
How We Protect Your Personal Information
We maintain reasonable administrative, technical and physical safeguards to protect the personal information we obtain through the Platform. However, no method of transmission over the internet or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure. Therefore, while we make reasonable efforts to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
Your Rights Over Your Personal Information
Email Marketing Opt-Out
You can opt out of receiving marketing and promotional communications from us by clicking in the unsubscribe link in the relevant email.
The Platform uses analytics to help improve both the user experience and functionality, including third-party analytics provided by Google Analytics. To opt-out of Google Analytics on your device or browser, please visit here and follow the instructions.
Do Not Track
Priori does not currently take steps to respond to browsers “Do Not Track” signals as no uniform standard to respond to such signals has been developed at this time.
Children’s Privacy Rights
The Platform is not directed to, nor does Priori Legal knowingly collect personal information from, children under the age of 13. If you become aware that your child or any child under your care has provided us with personal information without your consent, please contact us as indicated below.
Changes to this Privacy Notice
We may update this Notice from time to time to reflect changes in our privacy practices or applicable laws. We may, as permitted by law, make such changes without prior notice. We will publish the updated version on the Platform and indicate at the top of the Notice when it was most recently updated. Your use of the Platform will be governed by the current version of this Notice.
If you have any questions about this Notice or, in accordance with applicable laws, you would like to review or request changes to the personal information collected in connection with your use of the Platform, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or by postal mail at:
Priori Legal, Inc.
HearstLab, 300 West 57th Street
New York, NY 10019
Additional Information for European Visitors and Users
In order to address our legal obligations in Europe (including the UK), Priori provides the following additional information for European (and UK) visitors and users of Priori’s Platform.
If you use or interact with the Priori Platform, then the data controller will be Priori Legal, Inc. Contact details for Priori are as follows:
Priori Legal, Inc.
HearstLab, 300 West 57th Street
New York, NY 10019
Legal professionals in the Legal Professional Network, Clients and site visitors in the EU whose data is obtained by Priori in connection with the operation of the Platform should contact Priori with any requests or complaints as instructed in the “Contact Us” section above.
Legal Bases for Using Your Information
We process personal information obtained in connection with the operation of the Platform for different purposes (as described in the “How We Use the Personal Information We Obtain” section, above) on the following legal bases:
- To perform our contractual obligations to Clients and legal professionals in the Legal Professional Network, as appropriate. We and our service providers process your personal information to perform our contractual obligations when we use your personal information to provide you with the Platform and to communicate with you. For example, when a Client submits an RFP, we process the personal information (i.e., name, email, title, phone, project proposal details) as necessary to perform a search for a relevant legal professional(s) in the Legal Professional Network. We also send you informational communications on this basis, including to notify you of a change to the Platform. Failure to provide requested personal information could prevent or delay the fulfilment of our contractual obligations;
- To pursue our legitimate interests. We process your information to meet our legitimate interests when we use your personal information to provide you with the Platform, for promotional, advertising and marketing purposes. For example, our legitimate interests include making improvements to, customizing and understanding how Clients, legal professionals in the Legal Professional Network and others interact with the Platform. We also rely on our legitimate interests to send you communications (e.g., about services we think may be of interest to Clients). To accomplish our legitimate interests, we may share your personal information with our service providers (including for our advertising and marketing purposes) and in the context of a corporate transaction. We maintain safeguards to protect the personal information we process to pursue our legitimate interests;
- To comply with our legal obligations. We process and share your personal information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations when we use your personal information to protect our rights or the rights of others and when we share your personal information with other parties where required by law or as necessary to protect our rights; and
- With your consent. We obtain your consent to process your personal information when we are required to do so by law. If consent is the legal basis on which we process your personal information, you can withdraw your consent at any time by contacting us following the instructions provided in the “Contact Us” section above.
Your Rights Over Your Information
In certain circumstances, you have a right to access or object to the use of personal information we hold about you in relation to your use of the Platform (including in relation to tailored advertising). You can also ask us to rectify, update, erase, restrict or to share such personal information in a usable format with another company. Such requests are subject to applicable law.
We encourage you to contact us to update or correct your personal information if it changes or if the personal information we hold about you is inaccurate following the instructions provided in the “Contact Us” section above.
Storing Your Information
We will keep your personal information obtained through the Platform for as long as we have a relationship with you. Once our relationship with you has come to an end, we retain your personal information for a period that enables us to:
- Maintain business records for analysis, understanding market trends and/or audit purposes and to improve the Site;
- Comply with record retention requirements under applicable laws or other relevant legal or regulatory requirements;
- Defend, establish, exercise or bring any existing or potential legal claims;
- Carry out fraud detection and prevention; and
- Deal with any complaints regarding the Platform and services.
We are committed to working with you to obtain a fair resolution in the event you have a complaint or concern about our data processing in relation to the Platform. If, however, you believe that we have not been able to assist with your complaint or concern, you have the right to make a complaint to a data protection authority.